Monday 23 March 2009

The Weekend Insomnia




The Weekend and Insomnia could qualify as an excellent antonym. But on the contrary, that’s exactly what it didn't to me last weekend. The last weekend in Zurich, left me a pretty too exhausted than the work days. The reason was that I had a bit too much time for me than what I can handle. It's really strange how too much of a personal time becomes loneliness and too less of it stress.

This weekend started like a pretty normal day with sleep till late morning, coffee, guitar, internet, etc. But this was all done by late Saturday afternoon. Now unlike India, in Switzerland silence is really valued. So even after straining my eyes and ears for hours to catch some noise, I ended up failing miserably. Now I don't know why but after a while silence seems really annoying to me. It's not that I need to talk every now and then, but yes I need to hear voices around just to make me feel that I am still alive.

So I started becoming restless by Saturday evening. Even watching back to back episodes of Friends, movies, etc. didn't really help it much. So I decided it was time to launch my deadliest weapon to destruct this boredom….sleep!

So off I went to a compulsive sleep. It's amazing how sleep can cure boredom for a while. Nothing works better to kill time than sleep. But then the inconceivable occurred. I woke up around 2:00 am in the night. The silence around was enough to make me realize that the massive thumping that I was hearing was of my own heart beat. And the rules in Switzerland don't allow you to make any noise after 10:00 pm. So what to do? Ohh..yes, I remembered my childhood, count sheep in the yard..1,2,3,4,5…….200….400…500…and duh..uh.. it worked and I was asleep again. Isn't it funny how silly tricks of childhood still work?

So the sun shines the next day. It was a good bright light that entered the room and of course why not after all it was the God's own day…the Sunday. But ohh my god…! I just woke up. I had nothing to do the entire Saturday and there I was again to begin a free day. Hello…all the shops and places in Zurich are closed too on a Sunday. So just like a soldier who is stuck between cross fires, I decided at least I'll go down fighting. So I thought let's try launching the deadly weapon of sleep again. But nope…the enemy was prepared this time. Nothing doing! Count as many sheep as I wanted…it was not going to happen now.  I was wide awake. The guitar, coffee, books, everything seemed boring and irritating. I tried to watch few more movies but even they seemed more or, less tiring. Ohh…how much I wished I could fall back to sleep. But it didn't happen! Tired of this I started strolling on streets aimlessly. But it's not that fun. So finally after few hours of failed frustrated attempts I returned back to my apartment. And then the Sunday hit back with a vengeance for his brother Saturday. The sleep kept eluding me the entire night. I realized there can be times when even darkness, soft pillow, a big bed and even soft music doesn't helps.  Finally the day dawned and I got up from the bed Monday morning, happy that I have a day to go to office. I never really thought a Monday morning could ever bring me more hope and energy than the God's own day. 

Ohh..my god, am I going crazy...because I guess I have just starting loving Mondays!! ;-D

No comments: